Bring a yummy campfire favorite to your table minus the sticky marshmallow fingers. Kids and kids-at-heart will love this new take on the time-honored treat.
"Give Me S'more" Cake Recipe:
· Prep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
· Yield: 12 Servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine cracker crumbs and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Place a cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting and sprinkle with half of chips. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining chips.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 483 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.