- Large eggs (1 egg per muffin cup; according to the number of guests you are serving)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Dijon Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray muffin tin(s) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut croissants lengthwise into 1/4 inch or thicker slices. Cut off the 'tips' of the croissants and press firmly into each muffin cup - smaller size of the croissant going in first. Overlap as necessary to create a firm cup. Fill in with cut pieces as necessary.
- Crack eggs into a small cup first (so you don't get egg shell in your croissant cups) and then pour into the center of each bread-lined cup. Salt and pepper each egg to taste.
- Bake for 16 to 21 minutes, depending on the accuracy of your oven and the preferred doneness of your egg. You can jiggle the pan to see how loose the eggs are to check for doneness. When done, remove muffin tin from oven and carefully run a knife or silicone spatula around the edges of egg nest in order to release the bread from muffin cup. Carefully lift and remove cooked nests with a thin spatula or flat knife. Place upright on serving plate and pass Dijon Cream Sauce.
- While eggs are baking, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until blended. Whisk in half and half and remaining ingredients, except for parsley, whisking often, being careful not to let it boil.
- When sauce has thickened, remove from heat and add chopped parsley.