by AMY FLANIGAN
(Make-Ahead) Eggs Benedict Casserole (Serves 12)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 3/4 pound Canadian bacon, roughly diced
- 6 English muffins, split and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Coat a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Combine the bacon and english muffin pieces and place in the pan, spreading them out evenly. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and onion powder; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle the paprika over the top.
- Preheat oven to 375. Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Just before it’s done cooking, make your hollandaise.
Heat butter in the microwave for about 1 minute, or until melted and hot, but not boiling. In a blender, add the egg yolks, cream, lemon juice, mustard, and cayenne to taste; cover and blend for about 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and slowly drizzle in the melted butter until fully incorporated and thickened. Taste and adjust flavor to your liking. (To heat up slightly, you can place it in the microwave for a few seconds, but be careful..you don’t want it to curdle.)
Serve sauce immediately with the casserole. Garnish with chopped chives or scallions, optional.