It is that time of the year when we are baking to fill up the cookie tins for the holiday season! These Nutella squares deserve a place on your holiday menu! The concept is very much the same as for the traditional Hertzoggies, but if your children are not fond of jam, as mine are, Nutella is the way to go! You have the buttery cake base, the creamy Nutella and the crunchy coconut topping! What is not to like? Of course if Nutella is just a bit too over=the-top for you, use a berry jam, even peanut butter can syrup can work! Just remember, once you done baking these Nutella Boms, pack them away between layers of wax paper and share them sparingly! On the other hand, it is almost Christmas, throw caution to the wind and hand them out…… why not?
Nutella Squares Recipes
- 500 ml self-raising flour
- 80 ml castor sugar
- 125 g butter – cold, cubed butter
- 3 jumbo egg yolks
- ice water
- 1 big pot Nutella
- 5 jumbo egg whites
- 200 ml castor sugar
- 500 ml desiccated coconut
- Prepare a 20 x 20 cm baking sheet by spraying it with non-stick spray! Place flour and sugar into a food processor and pulse until mixed. Add the butter cubes and pulse a few times to cut the butter into the flour mixture. Beat the egg yolks and add it to flour mixture. Pulse a few more times until the dough starts to form a ball. Add a little ice water if too stiff. Remove from the processor and press the dough into prepared pans.
- Heat the Nutella for 30 second in the microwave oven and spread over the dough in the pan!
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add the caster sugar while beating. Fold in the coconut. Spoon the coconut mixture over the Nutella and bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool and store in an airtight container.That is if there are any left to store!