Antjie

Antjie

Thursday 26 July 2012

DIY Chalkboard Party Cart...

By: Krylon

Upcycle a tired piece of furniture into a stylish chalkboard party cart with DIY furniture painting. Using chalkboard paint from Krylon, you can turn your cart into a conversation piece for your next party.


Materials:
  • Party cart or side table
  • (1) can Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer
  • (1) can Krylon Indoor/Outdoor White spray paint
  • (1) can Krylon Dover White spray paint
  • (1) can Krylon Chalkboard spray paint
  • Purdy 6 in 1 Painters Tool
  • Gorilla Glue
  • Wood Putty
  • DecoArt Americana Acrylic in Dove Gray
  • DecoArt Glazing Medium
  • Screwdriver
  • Sand Paper
  • Paper plate or something for mixing paint
  • Paint brush
  • Drop cloth or newspaper to protect work area
Instructions:
  1. Clean cart. I used the Purdy 6 in 1 Painters Tool to scrape off the stickers and gunk.
  2. Repair cart: The cart was more abused that I realized – one leg was held together by screws. I removed the screws, and glued the leg together with Gorilla Glue. Let dry.
  3. Once the glue was dry, I realized there were still some cracks, so I added some wood putty to fill those in. Let dry. Sand.
  4. I sprayed a coat of Krylon Primer and then more blemishes in this beauty of a cart appeared…more Gorilla Glue…more wood putty…more sanding…ta-da!
  5. I sprayed a second coat and let dry. NOTE: I had decided that my top was going to be chalkboard so I took no care to paint the top nicely with the Krylon. I did prime it with the Krylon Primer.
  6. I LOVE Kylon’s Dover White (I have used it on many projects), so I continued to paint the cart with it and the colour was spot on and application super-duper easy.
  7. After drying I knew what had to be done…distress it. The cart was begging for it – it was the only way to save the cart and camouflage the damage. So on this gorgeous base of paint, I sanded the legs and a few other areas to show the wear – I especially hit the places where the damage was already done.
  8. Then I glazed the entire cart with a mixture of DecoArt’s Dove Gray American Acrylic and Glazing Medium. I just mixed the two together and used a rag to wipe on and wipe off. It gave a subtle glazed, while letting the original colour shine through.
  9. Once the glaze was dry, I sprayed the entire cart with the Deft Clear Wood Finish Sealer from Rockler. I sprayed now – before painting my top with the chalkboard paint because I did not want the chalkboard to be “sealed” – it was just easier.
  10. Once the sealer is dry, paint the top with chalkboard paint – 2 coats according to bottle directions. Let dry. Prime and get writing!