Antjie

Antjie

Monday 7 May 2012

A Diamond on Mother's Day

Mother gently tucked me in
When I was just a tot
She always read me nursery rhymes
And sang to me a lot.

The years flew by and I did change
Through dolls and teddy bears
To make-believe parties on the lawn
And ribbons in my hair.

Time didn't stop, it moved along
A young teen, I'd become
With many friends, so much to do
And no time left for mom.

My high school days were just a blur
My senior prom, the dress
But through it all, my mom was there
To see I looked my best.

Then off to college, could not wait
I'd dreamed about this day
I didn't see my mother's tears
The day I went away.

Now far from home, I had it made
My prince came into view
Together we walked down the aisle
To start our lives anew.

My mom was there, she always was
To smile and send me cheer
But as before, she looked away
And gently wiped a tear.

Too much time has slipped away
The years, now gone for good
Oh, how my mother loved me so
She always understood.

On Mother's Day, she too, looks back
On all the childish things
My Barbie dolls and high-heeled shoes
The rouge and wedding rings.

But I must say one thing for sure
My mother sure does shine
More than the brightest diamond ring
And I'm so glad she's mine.
By Marilyn Ferguson