Antjie

Antjie

Monday 7 May 2012

Do-It-Yourself Stencil Pillow....

Have a quote of any choosing on a pillow that you'll be seeing everyday. Paying R150 is a bit steep for a pillow with a quote on it? I figured making my own was the perfect solution.
Supplies:
  • a blank pillow cover (I purchased a nice linen cover)
  • some cardboard
  • a pencil
  • a letter stencil (I have one the kids use to use at school)
  • a fabric marker (My black Sharpie fabric marker worked great!)
After choosing your quote, stuff your pillow cover with some cardboard to keep the marker from bleeding through and to keep the fabric stretched out smooth.

Use a pencil to stencil your quote onto the pillow cover. If you mess up the spacing you can erase the pencil lines and redo them. You can’t fix mistakes when you’re using the fabric marker, so don’t skip the pencil step. (At least I was able to erase on the linen, I don’t know if that would work on other fabrics.)

Once you’ve penciled everything in, go at it with your fabric marker! I found it easiest to use the stencil for the outline of each letter, and then remove the stencil to fill the letters in.

The Sharpie fabric marker packaging didn’t say anything about heat setting the ink, but I will probably press my pillow cover before I wash it, just to be safe.