How about reading the bible? Are you embarrassed about reading in public, such as a café or while waiting in a doctor’s office?
We have come to a time in our society where the name of Jesus is considered offensive to the unbelieving world. The question is, is He an offense and stumbling block to you?
Sometimes I hear people say their testimony will lead someone to Christ. Not true. The bible says that only the gospel will save. One must know and believe that He is the Messiah and there is salvation is in no other.
There are so many people today who have never heard the gospel. In the 70’s I ran across many so-called “Jesus Freaks” that had no problem telling me the good news. Because of them, the seed was planted for my eventual salvation and now I’m one of them! The sad part is, although there are still the lost all around us, I haven’t heard ANYONE come to me in years asking me if I know Jesus. I think the last time was about 10 years ago and before that, 20! Think about it – how many times in the past 10 years has anyone bothered to care enough to tell you the good news? That’s okay…the harvest is plentiful but the workers are few… WAIT A MINUTE! AREN’T WE THE WORKERS???
Remember, our silence and fear of the world’s rejection is akin to being ashamed of Christ and His Word! We need to pray, as the Apostle Paul did for boldness in evangelizing and remember…souls are saved, not because of us, but because the gospel is POWERFUL. His Word created the universe and all that is in it. God’s Word is more powerful than anyone can imagine. Let your battle cry be as follows:
So let us look anew at the condition of lost souls that touch our lives every day. See them as they are – lost and on their way to hell without Christ and without hope. YOU HAVE THAT HOPE and it’s meant to be shared. Ask yourself: Do you truly believe in the faith you claim? Remember when someone came to tell you the good news? Looking back now, aren’t you grateful for their boldness? You might be rejected and called crazy today by those who are blind to the things of the Spirit, but then again, you might just be the one person to find another lost sheep and be the vehicle God uses to rescue them from destruction. So, I encourage you to stand up for Jesus if you’ve been stuck in neutral, and give yourself up to the will of God. Remember the fire of new birth and He will make you a fisher of men.
If you just CAN’T witness, there are things you can do:
- Leave gospel tracts in various places
- Start a blog with the good news message
- When sending cards to unsaved friends leave a tract and a note…Because I love you…
- Bring up the name of Jesus in conversation with unsaved friends – it might open up a witnessing opportunity
- Make Jesus the topic of conversation when you are with your saved friends – loudly, in public places. I once had a friend in a nursing home where I visited often. We did this and it resulted in the salvation of her roommate – a hardened prostitute! She said “You didn’t think I was listening, did you?” (We knew)
- Do “prayer walks” and get to know your neighbors and leave tracts
- Read your Bible in public and be open to questions if asked
So, pray for boldness and read the Word. There are too many lost souls out there. If you are afraid to claim Jesus, remember that Peter feared for his life when he denied the Lord. I have to ask myself, what are we afraid of?