Turtles and Peanut butter squares
For the peanut butter filling:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (I use Skippy All Natural Creamy)
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Stir all ingredients until well blended. (If it is too difficult to stir, 10-20 seconds in the microwave will soften up the peanut butter.) Form into a ball.
- Place mixture on parchment paper and roll out until it is a little thicker than a quarter inch.
- Cut into 1 inch squares. Set aside.
For the chocolate:
- 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips, about 1 cup (I use Guittard or Ghiradelli.)
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave half of the chocolate chips at thirty second intervals until fully melted. Stir in remainder of chips. Continue to stir until the new chips are almost melted. Microwave for 10-20 more to ensure all chocolate is fully melted and a smooth, flowing consistency. (This step can be easily done in a glass bowl set over a pot or pan of simmering water instead of the microwave–just don’t let any water get in the chocolate!)
- Stir in vanilla. Set mixture aside.
For the turtles:
- 1/4 cup of roasted salted peanuts (don’t use dry roasted)
- 1/2 peanut butter mixture
- 1/2 melted chocolate mixture
- On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, place little mounds of peanuts (1/2 tablespoon each) about an inch or two apart.
- Press a peanut butter square into each mound, trying to get each peanut to stick.
- Using a teaspoon, drizzle melted chocolate over each. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
For the peanut butter squares:
Using a fork, dip each of the remaining peanut butter squares into the melted chocolate and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.