You will fall in love with sticky date pudding cakes. They are absolutely divine.. Make sure to top the warm cupcakes with warm Chocolate Toffee Sauce for a killer dessert. Author: Julie Hasson
Yield: Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) pitted dates (7 oz/210 g), chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) water
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp ( 7 mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (50 mL) milk
- Chocolate Toffee Sauce (see recipe below...)
- Muffin pan, lined with paper liners
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine dates and water. Cook until dates are soft and water is absorbed. Set aside and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together granulated and brown sugars and butter until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture, beating until combined. Add milk and reserved date mixture, beating until smooth.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Remove paper liners from cupcakes. Top warm cupcakes with Chocolate Toffee Sauce.
Chef: Julie Hasson
Cookbook: 125 Best Cupcake Recipes
Publisher: Robert Rose
Yield: Makes about 1½ cups (375 mL), enough to drizzle over 12 to 24 cupcakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- ¾ cup (175 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 oz (30 g) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together cream, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Butter will be lumpy, but don’t worry.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. If mixture starts to boil rapidly, reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Spoon hot toffee sauce over warm cupcakes and serve immediately.