Antjie

Antjie

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Always...

|

I some how got the idea to search the word “always” to see what the Bible says we should always do. It was an interesting study and mostly it says we should always pray. I like Acts 24:16 which says we should always have a conscience void of offense toward God. And while I could write about that, it’s not the verse that stood out to me today.

1 Cor. 15:58 – “So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.” That’s the New Living Translation which I enjoy reading; however, my favorite is the Amplified which says, “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be firm (steadfast), immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord [always being superior, excelling, doing more than enough in the service of the Lord], knowing and being continually aware that your labor in the Lord is not futile [it is never wasted or to no purpose].”
  • Be firm
  • Be steadfast
  • Be immovable
  • Always abounding in the work of the Lord

Always being superior in any work that we do for God. Superior in quantity. Superior in quality. Superior in attitude. Ouch! My attitude is not always good when it comes to do things for God. I detest lack of preparation on other’s part. I hate it when people are not on time and honoring God. My attitude shows towards them and I’m learning to pray instead of getting frustrated.

Always excelling in any work we do for God. Excelling at my skill of playing piano, leading worship, teaching others about God. Sigh…I’m not always practicing as I should. I just get tired after teaching all day and don’t want to practice at night. Some how God will show me how to fit more practice time into my tight schedule. I could stop playing FB games at night but that’s when I’m too tired to think about anything else. I guess if I just went to the piano and played it would energize me. It’s like exercising, once you get there and start doing it, it feels good. I will be more determined this year to get to the piano. How can I be an excellent piano teacher if I don’t practice what I teach!!

Always doing more than enough in the service of the Lord. Okay, I think I’m doing well on this one. Though I could have more music ready for worship time than what is required but that would require more practice time with the worship team. Two hours is a lot already. I need my team to step up in excelling at their instruments and voices so that we can have more productive rehearsals. With 10 songs to prepare each week, it requires a lot of time and review. I get bored doing the same worship songs and so I need new, exciting songs to sing. Can’t do that unless the team knows the ones we are trying to learn now. How frustrating this could be if I allowed it. So instead I’m reducing the number of songs for worship so that we can concentrate on learning the songs well. Repetition is key to excelling in anything including worship. The congregation will learn the songs too, if they show up each week that is!

Interesting how one word, “always”, made me think and be aware of what I need to change so I can “always be abounding in the work of the Lord”.